The Democratic Party of Illinois (DPI) is seeking a dynamic individual to fill the position of Communications Director. This full-time, senior staff position works closely with the Executive Director to effectively further the DPI’s strategic goals in the news media and among key Democratic stakeholders.
About the Democratic Party of Illinois:
In the 2022 election cycle, the DPI protected and elected Democrats up and down the ballot, while building the most active and inclusive party our state has ever seen. Our work is year- round, and our programs will focus on welcoming Illinois Democrats home to a party relentlessly focused on electing those who champion our causes and our communities.
What Will You Do?
The Communications Director is responsible for executing DPI’s media and stakeholder communication strategies. This position reports to the Executive Director and manages a digital staffer.
- Primary responsibility for developing and implementing an overarching communications strategy for DPI using its online and offline assets, in partnership with the Senior Advisor and Executive Director;
- Draft and execute press communications, press releases, advisories, and other press materials;
- Manage DPI’s press engagement tools including but not limited to press lists, email sending tools, website, and more;
- Plan and execute online and offline earned media tactics including press conferences, rallies, events, op-eds, and more;
- Maintain ongoing relationships with key reporters across the state;
- Develop and execute stakeholder communications including newsletters, updates, briefings, and more;
- Coordinate with stakeholders to provide specific message guidance on key topics;
- Partner with local, state, and federal campaigns and party organizations to hold Republicans accountable and support our candidates’ own communications programs;
- Work in partnership with digital staff and the digital fundraising team to oversee communication disseminated through DPI’s online and SMS/MMS channels;
- Identify strategic opportunities that promote the organizational mission;
- Participate in weekly vendor calls;
- Other duties as assigned.
Who Are You?
The ideal candidate will be an experienced communicator and a passionate promoter of Democratic values. They will be creative, highly organized, and a self-starter. A familiarity with the Illinois political landscape is preferred.
- At least two cycles working in a paid role as communications staff on an electoral or issue advocacy campaign;
- Demonstrated experience creating written communications materials including press releases, advisories, and op-eds;
- Demonstrated experience creating and executing earned media tactics including press conferences and rallies;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to effectively collaborate and work well with internal staff and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and able to adapt quickly to meet project needs;
- Ideal candidates will have managed junior communications staff in previous roles.
Applicants must live in Illinois. Applicants must have the ability to travel throughout the state for up to several days at a time and must have a valid driver’s license.
The salary range for this role is competitive and commensurate with experience. DPI also offers a generous benefits package with the opportunity for growth.
How To Apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume to [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
The Democratic Party of Illinois is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, marital, veteran or economic status, or any other legally protected basis. The Democratic Party of Illinois is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. Please contact us for any accommodations needed in the hiring process.