The Democratic Party of Illinois (DPI) is seeking a dynamic individual to fill the position of Political and Organizing Director. This full-time, senior staff position will work closely with the Executive Director to create and manage statewide infrastructure for grassroots organizing and stakeholder engagement.
About the Democratic Party of Illinois:
In the 2022 election cycle, the DPI protected and elected Democrats up and down the ballot, while building the most active and inclusive party our state has ever seen. Our work is year round, and our programs will focus on welcoming Illinois Democrats home to a party relentlessly focused on electing those who champion our causes and our communities.
What Will You Do?
The Political and Organizing Director is responsible for structuring and managing DPI’s volunteer and party stakeholder organizing strategy. This position reports to the Executive Director and manages a team of six regional organizing directors.
- Plan and execute DPI’s statewide Political Outreach Program and grassroots organizing strategy;
- Hire and manage a team of statewide political organizing staff;
- Build relationships with local leaders, key stakeholders, and activists in preparation for statewide campaign activity;
- Serve as a liaison between the Democratic State Central Committee (DSCC) and the State Party; including managing member requests and strengthening the partnership between the DSCC and State Party;
- Lead strategic outreach efforts to targeted voter demographics;
- Work with the Voter Registration Director to implement effective voter registration tactics;
- Serve as the liaison between the county, township and local party committees and the State Party;
- Work with all DPI departments to ensure that DPI and its campaigns have the support of key stakeholders, local leaders and opinion makers as well as elected officials.
Who Are You?
The ideal candidate will be an experienced organizer and a passionate promoter of Democratic values. They will be creative, highly organized, and a self-starter. A familiarity with the Illinois political landscape is preferred.
- At least three (3) cycles organizing on an electoral or issue advocacy campaign with at least one cycle of management experience or at least three (3) years of non-profit or electoral political experience;
- Political or organizing experience in Illinois is preferred;
- Superior project management skills, including the ability to plan a project or program and to track progress and adjust resources as needed;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to effectively collaborate and work well with internal staff and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and able to adapt quickly to meet project needs.
Applicants must live in Illinois. Fully-remote applicants considered, but preference given to applicants who can work in-office either in Chicago or Springfield. Applicants must have the ability to travel throughout the state for up to several days at a time, have reliable access to a personal vehicle, and must have a valid driver’s license. The salary range for this role is competitive and commensurate with experience. DPI also offers a generous benefits package with the opportunity for growth.
How To Apply:
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
The Democratic Party of Illinois is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, marital, veteran or economic status, or any other legally protected basis. The Democratic Party of Illinois is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. Please contact us for any accommodations needed in the hiring process.